Avoid the tick habitat during tick season such as bush / scrub, wetland areas (July – Dec in the Brisbane area)
Finger-tip search your pets daily for ticks -Ticks have to be attached 36-48hrs to cause problems
- Feel all over the body using your finger-tips
- Start at the head and then systematically check your pet all over to the tip of their tail!
- Don’t forget eyes, inside the mouth, ears, groin, armpits, between the toes, any skin folds, remove collar and check neck etc.
- Investigate any small lumps found
- If you find a tick remove it immediately (Some cats can be infested with many ticks at one time so don’t forget to check for more!)
- This is done by grasping the tick with fingernails, a pair of tweezers or a tick-removing device as close to the cat’s body as possible. A short, sharp tug will dislodge the tick which can then be killed
- Then keep your pet quiet and observe for the next 48hrs as signs of toxicity may occur after the tick has been removed Remember if you are worried then contact us immediately as the sooner we treat the better!
Use a tick prevention product:
- Frontline Spray is the only registered product safe to use in cats. Other tick products for dogs etc. are often TOXIC to cats